Library

My Method for Learning Languages from Scratch

Now Playing
Hi, Steve Kaufmann here.
大家好,我是史蒂夫·考夫曼。
0:00

Hi, Steve Kaufmann here.

大家好,我是史蒂夫·考夫曼。

0:02

Today I'm gonna talk about...

今天我要谈谈...

0:03

I often get this question like, how do you start a language from scratch?

我经常收到这样的问题,你如何从头开始学习一门语言?

0:07

What is your process to learn a language?

你学习语言的过程是怎样的?

0:10

Uh, by the way, if you enjoy my, uh, podcast or at least uh, videos about

呃,顺便说一下,如果你喜欢我的,呃,播客或者至少呃,关于

0:15

language learning, please subscribe.

语言学习的视频,请订阅。

0:18

All right.

好的。

0:19

How do you start from scratch?

你如何从头开始?

0:20

Obviously, right now I'm focusing on four Slavic languages.

显然,现在我专注于四种斯拉夫语言。

0:24

I've studied all those four languages to varying degrees before, so

我以前不同程度地研究过所有这四种语言,所以

0:29

I'm not starting from scratch.

我不是从头开始。

0:30

In fact, the last language I started from scratch, I guess was Ukrainian,

事实上,我从头开始学习的最后一门语言,我猜是乌克兰语,

0:36

but I had had Slavic languages before.

但我以前学过斯拉夫语。

0:38

Romanian maybe.

也许是罗马尼亚语。

0:40

How do I start from scratch?

我如何从头开始?

0:41

All right.

好的。

0:42

Let's say I was gonna study Turkish, all right, or Arabic,

假设我打算学习土耳其语,好吧,或者阿拉伯语,

0:46

and I do intend to do that.

我确实打算这样做。

0:47

One day I would go out and buy a starter book.

有一天我会出去买一本入门书。

0:51

A starter book is like a teach yourself Assimil, uh, Colloquial, any of those.

入门书就像自学 Assimil、呃、Colloquial 等。

0:59

It almost doesn't matter.

这几乎无关紧要。

1:00

I just find it's comfortable to have a book, a little book that gives you

我只是觉得有一本书很舒服,一本能让你

1:06

a bit of an overview of the language.

对这门语言有一些概述的小书。

1:07

There's typicaly, you know, 20 or 12 chapters that introduce

通常有 20 或 12 章介绍

1:13

some aspects of the language.

该语言的某些方面。

1:14

In each chapter, they have a dialogue, some audio, uh, some explanations, and

在每一章中,他们都有对话,一些音频,呃,一些解释,

1:21

I kind of go through them predominantly to get a sense of the language, to

我主要通过它们来了解语言,阅读

1:27

read some, to get an overview of the grammar, not expecting to remember.

一些内容,了解语法,而不是期望记住。

1:33

It's just kind of an introduction.

这只是一种介绍。

1:35

Get my feet wet, so to speak.

可以这么说,弄湿我的脚。

1:37

Then as soon as I could, I would get into interesting content.

然后我会尽快进入有趣的内容。

1:42

How soon I can get into interesting content will depend on the language.

我能多快进入有趣的内容取决于语言。

1:46

Uh, but I would start trying, and I would do it at LingQ, obviously,

呃,但我会开始尝试,显然我会在 LingQ 做,

1:50

because there I can look up every word.

因为在那里我可以查到每个词。

1:52

I can save words.

我可以省话。

1:53

I'm used to that.

我已经习惯了。

1:54

That's my favorite sort of learning environment.

那是我最喜欢的学习环境。

1:57

But my, my sort of modus operandi is to get into a situation where I can

但是我的,我的作案手法是进入一个我可以

2:05

listen and read, because listening in combination with reading is so powerful.

听和读的环境,因为听和读结合起来非常强大。

2:11

And so for an initial six months or so, uh, I would only...

所以在最初的六个月左右,呃,我只会......

2:17

and so then people say, well, how can you listen to things you don't understand?

然后人们会说,好吧,你怎么能听你不明白的东西呢?

2:21

I get that all the time.

我一直都这样。

2:22

How can you listen if you don't know the words?

如果你不认识这些词,你怎么能听呢?

2:24

Obviously when you start out, you have to listen to short bits of

显然,当你开始时,你必须听一小段

2:29

content because you don't understand, and you have to listen to content

内容,因为你听不懂,而且你必须听

2:33

where you have the transcript.

你有抄本的内容。

2:35

And again, it should be 30 seconds long because you're gonna be looking

再一次,它应该是 30 秒长,因为你会查找

2:38

up words, you're gonna be struggling.

单词,你会很挣扎。

2:40

You don't understand.

你不明白。

2:42

You're in that early process of discovering the language.

您正处于发现该语言的早期过程中。

2:45

But to listen to something, you have to have the transcript so

但是要听一些东西,你必须有抄本,这样

2:48

that you can look up the words.

你才能查到单词。

2:50

All right?

好的?

2:51

Also listening and reading go together.

听力和阅读也一起去。

2:54

Why?

为什么?

2:55

Because we listen to something that has been recorded.

因为我们听的是已经录制好的东西。

2:58

All right.

好的。

2:58

That's a record.

那是一个记录。

2:59

It's an audio record of something that someone said.

这是某人说的话的录音。

3:03

But writing is a written record.

但写作是书面记录。

3:05

Before they had, you know, tape recorders or MP3 files, all they had was writing.

你知道,在他们拥有录音机或 MP3 文件之前,他们所拥有的只是写作。

3:11

That was the only way to record what was said.

这是记录所说内容的唯一方法。

3:14

And the writing is a visual representation of the words.

文字是文字的视觉表现。

3:19

I find that I need both.

我发现我两者都需要。

3:21

If I just hear it, I won't remember it, not a chance.

如果我只是听到它,我不会记住它,没有机会。

3:24

Uh, if I'm talking to my tutor and she gives me a new word in Ukrainian, if I

呃,如果我和我的导师谈话,她给了我一个乌克兰语的新词,如果我

3:29

don't see it written down, I haven't got a chance of remembering that word, but if

没有看到它写下来,我就没有机会记住那个词,但如果

3:34

I hear it often enough and see it often enough, that's the visual representation.

我经常听到它并且经常看到它,这就是视觉表现。

3:39

If I combine the two, I have a chance of accumulating those words.

如果我将两者结合起来,我就有机会积累那些话。

3:43

So in order for that to work in the initial period, which might be 1,

因此,为了使其在初始阶段(可能是 1、2、3

3:47

2, 3 months, you've gotta listen more than once to the same content,

个月)发挥作用,您必须多次收听相同的内容,

3:52

and so that's what I would do.

这就是我要做的。

3:53

Therefore, it has to be short and you have to, even though the content is

因此,它必须简短而且你必须这样做,即使内容很

3:58

boring, it's the challenge of trying to make sense out of this new language that

无聊,但尝试理解这种新语言的挑战才是让它变得

4:03

makes it interesting enough stimulating, challenging enough that I can actually

足够有趣、足够刺激、足够具有挑战性,以至于我实际上可以

4:08

listen over and over because I'm still not getting certain parts of it, even though

一遍又一遍地听,因为我仍然不明白它的某些部分,即使

4:12

I read it and I've looked up the words and I've kind of pieced together what it means

我读了它并且查了单词并且我已经拼凑出了它的意思

4:18

when I listen to it, it's still a blur.

当我听它的时候,它仍然是一片模糊。

4:20

So therefore there's that challenge that keeps you focused.

因此,存在让您保持专注的挑战。

4:23

You're gonna listen to it again, read it again.

你会再听一遍,再读一遍。

4:26

And also in the beginning, I'm more likely to review words and phrases,

而且在一开始,我更有可能复习单词和短语,

4:32

uh, using my flashcards or other of the activities that we have at LingQ ,closed

呃,使用我的抽认卡或我们在 LingQ 进行的其他活动,封闭式

4:37

tests or multiple choice or whatever, to try to somehow, because I have to

测试或多项选择或其他任何方式,以某种方式尝试,因为我必须

4:42

very sort of intensively work this stuff because it's so new to me now.

非常集中地工作这些东西,因为它现在对我来说太新了。

4:49

Gradually as I progress and, and remember again, I'm listening to content that's

随着我的进步,我会逐渐记住,我正在听很

4:54

short, for which I have the transcript, and hopefully it's relatively easy

短的内容,我有它的文字记录,希望它相对容易,

5:00

because it's designed for the begin.

因为它是为开始而设计的。

5:03

And we ha uh, you can get that out of your, uh, beginner book.

我们哈,呃,你可以从你的,呃,初学者书中得到它。

5:06

You can find lots of such content at LingQ for different languages.

您可以在 LingQ 上找到很多不同语言的此类内容。

5:09

Some languages have more than others.

有些语言比其他语言更多。

5:11

And then, but as early as possible, I wanna get to interesting content because

然后,但尽可能早地,我想了解有趣的内容,因为

5:15

after a while it becomes boring to listen to stuff that's essentially boring.

过了一段时间,听一些本质上无聊的东西会变得无聊。

5:20

So I have to move to a stage where I'm now motivated by my interest in the content.

所以我必须进入一个阶段,我现在对内容的兴趣会激发我的动力。

5:28

And for me, very often that means books related to the history, uh,

对我来说,这通常意味着与历史相关的书籍,呃,使用

5:33

of the country where the language is spoken, and then it continues.

该语言的国家的历史,然后它会继续下去。

5:39

It's that combination of the, the sound and the visual representation of the

它是单词重复、重复、重复的声音和视觉表现的组合

5:43

words repeated, repeated, repeated.

5:45

Now, some people say, well, you should, uh, you know, try and first learn the

现在,有些人说,嗯,你应该,呃,你知道,首先尝试学习

5:49

most important 1000 words of the language.

这门语言中最重要的 1000 个单词。

5:52

They will show up.

他们会出现。

5:53

That you need to worry about.

你需要担心的。

5:55

Um, the main thing is, is to get hooked, hooked on the language, get enough

嗯,最主要的是,要着迷,着迷于语言,

6:01

of a start with the beginner material that, that you've got a bit of a toe

从初学者材料中获得足够的开始,你已经掌握了一点脚趾

6:05

hold on, more interesting material.

,更有趣的材料。

6:08

And initially it's a tough grind, but I find that in that early period where

最初这是一个艰难的磨练,但我发现在那个

6:13

it's very difficult and I'm looking up a lot of words, I'm excited by

非常困难的早期阶段,我正在查找很多单词,我很兴奋,因为

6:17

the fact that I'm actually reading and listening to authentic material.

我实际上正在阅读和聆听真实的材料。

6:23

Turns me on.

让我兴奋。

6:24

Wow.

哇。

6:24

Look at me now.

现在看着我。

6:25

I've got say, a Turkish, uh, newscast with transcript, and I'm listening to

我听说过,一个土耳其语,呃,带文字记录的新闻广播,我正在听

6:31

it, not really understanding it, reading it, listening again, but it's real stuff.

,但不是很理解,读了一遍,又听了一遍,但它是真实的东西。

6:36

And then sort of, without even realizing it, all of a sudden, three months later,

然后,在不知不觉中,三个月后,

6:42

I'm able to understand more and more of these podcasts or whatever they might be.

我突然间能够理解越来越多的播客或其他任何内容。

6:49

And, and then as I'm getting more and more of the meaning, then I try to

然后,当我获得越来越多的含义时,我会尝试

6:55

notice expressions or words that are kind of key words for the meaning or

注意表达或单词, 它们是我想使用的

7:02

key words that I would like to use.

含义或

7:04

And so I think it's useful once you are comfortable, uh, with a meaning that

关键词的关键词。所以我认为一旦你感到舒服,呃,

7:09

you try to focus on certain expressions when you notice them certain phrase.

当你注意到某些短语时,你会尝试专注于某些表达 方式,这意味着它很有用 。

7:13

All right.

好的。

7:14

Uh, the great thing about listening is you can do it wherever you are.

嗯,聆听的好处在于无论身在何处都可以聆听。

7:18

I find that, and I've said this before, if I just sit down and listen, I lose focus.

我发现,我以前也说过,如果我只是坐下来听,我就会失去注意力。

7:24

However, if I'm listening while driving, if I'm listening while

但是,如果我边开车边听,或者边

7:27

doing the dishes, then I seen people focus in better on the meaning.

洗碗 边听 ,那么我发现人们会更好地关注其含义。

7:32

And, uh, once you are able to kind of get the meaning fairly well, that's

而且,呃,一旦你能够相当好地理解它的意思,那就是

7:37

the time where you start focusing.

你开始集中注意力的时候了。

7:40

Expressions and phrases so that you notice it here, you notice it there,

表达和短语让你在这里注意到它,你在那里注意到它,

7:43

and pretty soon it starts to become part of your, uh, uh, of your vocabulary.

很快它就开始成为你的,呃,呃,你词汇表的一部分。

7:48

Now in my different people start speaking at different times.

现在在我的不同的人在不同的时间开始说话。

7:52

I, if I were doing Turkish, I would imagine that my initial period with the

我,如果我在学习土耳其语,我会想象我最初使用

7:56

beginner material might be three months because it's a totally different language.

初学者材料的时间可能是三个月,因为它是一种完全不同的语言。

8:00

Then I might go another 3, 4, 5 months with a lot of listening and reading,

然后我可能会再花 3、4、5 个月的时间进行大量的听力和阅读,

8:04

getting into more and more interesting content, and then I would need to

接触越来越多有趣的内容,然后我需要

8:07

start speaking because when you start speaking, you see things that are missing.

开始演讲,因为当你开始演讲时,你会发现缺少的东西。

8:12

You get a report back, hopefully from your tutor, which I can import.

你会收到一份报告,希望来自你的导师,我可以导入。

8:16

And this increases your attentiveness so that when you're listening, you're

这会增加你的注意力,所以当你在倾听时,你会

8:20

listening for some of the things that you have had difficulty with and, and as

听到一些你有困难的事情,并且随着

8:24

you progress, you're able to speak more.

你的进步,你能够说得更多。

8:26

But even when I'm speaking a lot, like right now with my Ukrainian, because

但即使我说了很多,就像现在和我的乌克兰语一样,因为

8:31

I'm doing four languages, I'm doing Ukrainian for six weeks, then I'm

我会讲四种语言,我会讲乌克兰语六个星期,然后我

8:34

gonna do maybe polish and maybe Czeck.

可能会做抛光,也许会做 Czeck。

8:36

So I'm speaking once a day, an hour a day.

所以我每天讲一次,每天一个小时。

8:38

That's a lot.

好多啊。

8:40

I think it's sufficient to do it once or twice a week.

我认为每周做一到两次就足够了。

8:42

That's all the speaking you need in order to, um, kind of maintain that level of

这就是您需要的所有口语,以便,嗯,

8:49

focus when you're listening and reading.

在您听和读时保持那种专注水平。

8:51

And basically that's what I do if I have dedicated learning time.

如果我有专门的学习时间,基本上这就是我所做的。

8:54

I sit down with my iPad and I read and I create LingQs.

我拿着我的 iPad 坐下来阅读并创建 LingQ。

8:58

Uh, the listening ends up being the biggest part of my learning

嗯,听力最终成为我学习

9:01

activity because I can, I can do it whenever I want, but that

活动中最重要的部分,因为我可以,我可以随时做,但这

9:05

basically is what I would do.

基本上就是我会做的。

9:07

So when I undertake Turkish or Arabic, when I get around doing that, I would

因此,当我学习土耳其语或阿拉伯语时,当我四处走动时,我预计

9:12

expect that it would take me a year.

这将花费我一年的时间。

9:15

On, you know, using mostly listening time, maybe 45 minutes a day, an hour, another

在,你知道,大部分时间都在听,也许每天 45 分钟,一个小时,另一个

9:20

half hour, uh, with my iPad, uh, on LingQ.

半小时,呃,用我的 iPad,呃,在 LingQ 上。

9:24

On that basis, I would think within a year I would be able to, uh, present

在此基础上,我想在一年内我可以,呃,向

9:28

to you some videos of me, uh, speaking, uh, Turkish, uh, that's for the future.

你们展示我的一些视频,呃,说,呃,土耳其语,呃,那是为了未来。

9:33

Anyway, that's, uh, a brief description of how I go about learning languages.

无论如何,这是,呃,对我如何学习语言的简要描述。

9:37

I hope this was of interest and I'd be interested in answering any questions.

我希望这是有趣的,我有兴趣回答任何问题。

9:42

Bye for now.

暂时再见。